Tuesday, November 14, 2006

    3169 Checking the library shelves

    When I read this review. . . : "I know all about dissing the South. I've been there, done that, gotten the T-shirt, worn it out, and thrown it away. But D.C. pundit Kevin Phillips still wears the anti-Southern shirt with pride in his new rant American Theocracy. For Phillips, the South's distinctive contribution to America is fundamentalist, anti-rational, anti-modern, ultimately theocratic religion.

    You see, there's an American "Disenlightenment" going on, and its epicenter is somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon Line. While the North has its symphonies and universities, not to mention a higher IQ (yes, he really says that), the South has a "religious citizenry, more caught up in fecundity and the idea that children are gifts of the Lord." Southerners spend so much time poring over the Bible that they can't possibly participate constructively in a modern knowledge-based economy." TAE

    I just knew Upper Arlington Public Library would have multiple copies of this anti-conservative, anti-Christian title (which I'd never heard of). But this obscure title's quantity surprised even me. When I checked the on line catalog, I found five copies of the regular edition, one large print, and one audio book recording. Do I know librarians, or what? Censorship and bias are more likely to happen during selection and purchase than by what is rejected or withdrawn based on patron complaints. Someone on the library staff has really skewed the collection.

    NYT, of course, loved it, but did note there was little new or original material in it. What a shock!

    Update: I checked the most recent Bill O'Reilly book, Culture Warrior, and the library has one regular copy with 11 requests waiting (if each person kept it 2 weeks that would be about 5 months), 1 large print checked out, and one audio, checked out. One copy just says unavailable--I have no idea if it is lost, on order, or being processed because the catlog record is very difficult to read. The Factor, which I believe sold very well, had only 2 copies in the collection.Source URL: http://maryelizabeth-winstead.blogspot.com/2006/11/3169-checking-library-shelves-when-i.html
    Visit Mary Elizabeth Winstead for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive