Thursday, February 8, 2007

    Poetry Thursday #6




    CHANGE is this week's theme in honor of PT's new website. What changes more than women's fashion? Truthfully, my style doesn't change that much, especially with no job to go to. So when I say good-bye to a favorite style or fabric, it is a sad day. Some go to my "vintage closet"--not to wear, but to look at, like a formal my mother made when I was in high school, or my mother-of-the-bride dress from 1993.

    This poem is about the last pair of shoulder pads in my closet. Shoulder pads (for women) returned to fashion in the early 1980s after a hiatus of about 30 years. They started small and then became enormous, and gradually disappeared. Now we all have narrow, dainty, child-like shoulders again instead of looking like we suited up for the middle school football team or the soap opera Dynasty.


    On removing shoulder pads from a favorite blouse
    by Norma Bruce
    Feb. 7, 2007

    Others told me
    (helpful friends)
    someday on my own
    strength
    would I go
    to meet the world
    tall, strong, confident.

    I’d waver; you were silent.

    Mirrors told me
    (how they lied)
    only with your
    help
    could I climb
    the ladder of
    greed, success, power.

    I’d arrange; you were silent.

    Today told me
    (glaring lights)
    it was now past
    time
    should I cling
    another minute to
    padded, shaped, contoured?

    Snip and toss; you were silent.


    Technorati: Source URL: http://maryelizabeth-winstead.blogspot.com/2007/02/poetry-thursday-6-change-is-this-weeks.html
    Visit Mary Elizabeth Winstead for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive