Thursday, February 22, 2007

    Poetry Thursday #8

    This week's (completely and totally optional) idea for Poetry Thursday is this phrase: "the body knows." I'm submitting here a poem I wrote in January. One of the ways (other than aches and pains) that our bodies speak to us is discreetly via a mirror--maybe it's in the bathroom or a department store cubicle, or the quick glance in the rear view mirror as we travel to work, sipping the latte, skipping through and humming along with the radio.

    Mirror, mirror on the wall
    January 26, 2007
    by Norma Bruce

    You used to be my friend.
    We’d hang out together
    for hours of girly talk,
    share secrets, giggle over
    girdles and bobbi pins,
    lipstick, powder and mascara.

    You used to wait for me.
    Chat in the dressing room,
    whispering gossip
    at the counter where
    we’d go to order
    double chocolate cherry cokes.

    When did you change?
    Sometimes I feel you’ve joined
    the witness protection program,
    embarrassed to see me.
    Now you’re pious and prim--
    no longer zealous for my best.

    Oh, how I miss you, dear heart!
    Your face isn’t clear when I squint,
    your motives are obscured.
    What did I do to offend?
    Can’t we go back to the old days,
    make silly faces and stay out late?


    Here are two others I wrote this week; if you've got a moment. . .:
    The vows
    When you're falling in loveSource URL: http://maryelizabeth-winstead.blogspot.com/2007/02/poetry-thursday-8-this-weeks-completely.html
    Visit Mary Elizabeth Winstead for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive